7.13.2010

SAGU!--I love story


I found a college! I am so excited....more in a minute..

I have always wanted to go to Patric Henry College in Virgina. It is the IVY league for homeschoolers. And In my mind --the heaven of all schools. So I spent my life up to now thinking lustful, coveting, envious thoughts about this school that I was in desperate to get into.
So what if there was no art program, no sociology programs......who cared...it's full of homeschool celebrities like Brett and Alex Harris and children of HSLD lawyers. My father (who is amazing) builds banjos and I am a hippie, It would NOT have been a good fit. Yet, I would have willingly flung myself into that world of lawyers and congressmen in training.....just to be part of such a regal group of people. I was in love. Did I mention the reading list? yes there is a reading list about a mile long JUST TO GET IN THE DOORS! The academic quality is extremely important to me and It only strengthened my infatuation.
But alas it wasn't meant to be (God is one smart cookie I tell you!).
I couldn't get in (I wasn't smart enough) and I couldn't pay for it (not even close)
.....so I told myself to forget it, move on.

However, I secretly thought I should be at PHC just the same. I never was able to get to the point of loving any other school. UT Tyler just can't compare to Christian and highly educated. Infact it can't compare to much of anything. I assumed that I would never love college again. Just as I left the High school scene early, I anticipated never going back to live at any campus.

But the most amazing thing happened! I went to Visit Southwestern Assemblies of God. Then I realized that what I though was unique to Patric Henry was in reality something I could find elsewhere (maybe even more so). It was a Chrisitan environment, geared to help you grow spirituality while you learn...24 hours of mandatory Bible classes (YAY!), and a degree I can really sink my teeth into! The school is more missions focused and down to earth then PHC and I don't feel like everyone on campus will be a republican (that's a good thing). The admissions counselor I saw was excellent and the Staff was friendly. The campus is close to home (Waxahachie) so I know the area back and forth. But the thing that was the most amazing was the peace I felt walking on campus....unlike any other school I have visited.
I still can't pay for it.....but I think with some scrimping and pinching I can make it. I am in love again and it feels great!


P.S. I learned to use links today...can you tell?

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you found a school you love! I didn't get into the school I thought was my dream school either, and it turned out, God knew what he was doing with me too, because I love where I am.

    ReplyDelete